Thursday, July 18, 2013

200-Calorie (2PP) breakfast burrito.... yes, really.

Have you tried the McDonald's Egg White Delite?

If not, don't. They are flavorless and unsatisfying. Eat these instead. They will fill you up without weighing you down, wake up your tastebuds with some zing, and give you a great boost of protein and fiber PLUS a serving of veggies.

I eat these every. freaking. morning. Seriously. I have been eating them for, oh, six months now? And I am not sick of them yet. Sure, I occasionally stop at Rutter's (local gas station, like Sheetz or Wawa or 7-11) and get a healthy breakfast sandwich from there on payday or something, but my McDonald's breakfast habit? Completely gone. I'd rather have this breakfast burrito any day.

Liz's "Holy Crap, That Smells Good" Breakfast Burritos

- 2 16 oz. bags of frozen green peppers/onions
- 1 container of egg substitute (not the quart size, the smaller one)
- 8 oz. diced ham
- 1 bag of shredded reduced fat Mexican/Fiesta/Colby Jack/Cheddar/WHATEVER cheese blend (approximately 1.75-2 cups)
- 1 4 oz. can of green chiles (optional)
- 1 bunch of asparagus, chopped (optional, i add as many veggies as possible to make the burritos as filling as i can for the fewest amount of calories) (approximately 1/2 pound raw and trimmed)
- pepper, garlic powder, and hot sauce to taste
- 12 Ole! Extreme Wellness brand high fiber/low carb tortillas

-----------------------

Add frozen vegetables to large nonstick pot sprayed with cooking spray (not a skillet or saucepan, I use a pot that you'd boil eggs or pasta in) and cover until vegetables are soft. Add asparagus and ham and saute until veggies are just starting to get a tiny bit brown on the edges.

Add egg substitute, green chiles, and spices.



Stir until cooked through and there is minimal liquid at the bottom of the pot.



See that liquid? You want to get as little of that as possible. You won't be able to get them completely liquid-free, but try to get as little as possible.


Turn off heat and stir in the cheese.


This is how it'll look after you stir in the cheese. It'll be a little wet/gooey, but that's because of the cheese. If you cooked off as much liquid as possible earlier, you'll be fine.












Use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop it into the tortillas and roll them up individually in foil and freeze. Then I just microwave them for 3m15s-3m30s in the morning. It makes 10-12 depending on how generous your scoops are.

----------------------------------


Stats for the brands I normally use (may vary depending on what you use):

Calories: 202
Carbs: 20
Fat: 4
Protein: 17
Sodium: 818
Sugar: 3

Weight Watchers Points Plus: 2

-----------------------------------

GO YE AND MASTICATE.

8 comments:

  1. This looks awesome!! I'm so jealous that you're so creative! I'm relatively new to WW (been on the program 5 weeks or so) and I've fallen into the dreaded breakfast rut. I tend to make myself an eggwhite & cheese breakfast sandwich on Anrold break. In total, it comes to 5pp per sandwich. Although it's good, it lacks in flavor! I'm going to make these today. I wonder though, have you ever frozen them after they are prepared? Do you think they would keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what I do! I make a batch of them and wrap them up individually, then I stick them all in the freezer and just grab one every morning. They keep just fine.

      Delete
    2. Awesome!!! I made these this morning actually and they were incredible!! thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. Looks good! I've made some breakfast burritos, but I've never made a whole bunch and freezed them. I did make a couple portions once, but I should do this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look tasty! I can't survive the morning without some kind of egg thing for breakfast, they're the only thing that fill me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your blog move somewhere else?!

    ReplyDelete